Name: Rashmi Kusurkar
Title: MD, PhD, FAMEE (Fellow of Association for Medical Education in Europe)
Position: Associate Professor and Head of Research in Education
Organizer SDT conference 2019
Rashmi has worked in a teaching role with senior responsibilities (on the verge of becoming an Associate Professor) in an illustrious medical college in India for 7 years after her post-graduation in medicine. In 2008 she took up the opportunity to invest in pursuing a PhD in medical education which was not then possible in India.
Rashmi has been instrumental in setting up the department of Research in Education at VUmc School of Medical Sciences in 2012, has headed this department ever since and conducts direct supervision of 9 PhD students. Her core expertise is 'motivation in education', which was also the focus of her PhD thesis. Within this field she employs a 'converge and diverge' strategy approach which complements a strong theoretical base with practical applications across the medical education field. Her vison for education is to develop 'students for life'.
Her work in educational practice includes being an Examination Board member, advising on educational activities and developing an training course for students to obtain a teaching qualification.
Her most significant achievements include being awarded the "Best PhD Thesis Prize" in medical education, being welcomed as Faculty on Self-Determination Theory of motivation and being chosen to be the Chief Organizer of the 7th International Self-determination Theory Conference.
Rashmi´s main interest is in research on human motivation. She works on this issue in context with selection for medical school, learning and academic performance, interprofessional education, professional behaviour etc.
- Van der Burgt S, Kusurkar RA, Wilschut J, Tjin A Tsoi S, Croiset G, Peerdeman SM. Motivational profiles of medical specialists. Conditionally Accepted by the Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions.
- Kusurkar RA, Daelmans HEM, Horrevoets A, de Haan M, van der Meijde M, Croiset G. Reforms in VUmc School of Medical Sciences Amsterdam: Student engagement, a Minor elective semester and stakeholder collaboration for quality of assessments. Medical Teacher 2018; Ahead of Print. DOI: 10.1080/0142159X.2018.1445833.
- Mak-van der Vossen M, Van Mook WPM, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA . 'Training the responding muscles': What simulated patients expect from medical students regarding speaking up behaviour. Quality in Primary Care 2018; 26 (1): 23-26.
- Visser CLF, Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Ten Cate ThJ, Westerveld HE. Students' Motivation for Interprofessional Collaboration after their Experience on an IPE Ward: a Qualitative Analysis framed by Self-Determination Theory. Medical Teacher 2018, Ahead of Print, DOI: 10.1080%2F0142159X.2018.1436759.
- Tjin A Tsoi S, De Boer A, Croiset G, Koster A, Kusurkar RA. How Basic Psychological Needs and Motivation affect Vitality and Lifelong Learning Attitude of pharmacists: a Structural Equation Model. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2018; DOI: 10.1007%2Fs10459-018-9812-7. http://rdcu.be/F1Sl
- Peerdeman SM, Nauta KJ, Both L, Doornaert P, Kusurkar RA, Van Tol M, Krage R. Introducing a hospital wide multidisciplinary-interprofessional training program Challenges of the TeAMS program. Quality in Primary Care 2017; 25(6): 379-385. http://primarycare.imedpub.com/introducing-a-hospital-wide-multidisciplinaryinterprofessional-training-programchallenges-of-the-teams-program.php?aid=21308
- Van der Burgt S, Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Peerdeman SM. Motivation of medical educators for professional development: A pilot study. IJME 2018; 9: 57-63.
- Isik U, Wouters A, Ter Wee MM, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Motivation and academic performance of medical students from ethnic minorities and majority: a comparative study. BMC Medical Education 2017; 17: 233.
- Kramer I, Kusurkar RA. Science-writing in the blogosphere as a tool to promote autonomous motivation in education. The Internet and Higher Education 2017; 35: 48-62.
- Mak-van der Vossen MC, Van Mook W, Kors JM, Ket JCF, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Descriptors for unprofessional behaviours of medical students: A systematic review and categorization. BMC Medical Education 2017; 17(1): 164.
- An M, Kusurkar RA, Li LP, Xiao YJ, Zheng C, Hu JX, Chen MH. Measurement invariance of the strength of motivation for medical school: a multi-group confirmatory factor analysis. BMC Medical Education 2017; 17: 116.
- Wouters A, Croiset G, Schripsema NR, Cohen-Schotanus J, Spaai GWG, Hulsman RL, Kusurkar RA. Students' approaches to medical school choice: relationship with students' characteristics and motivation. IJME 2017; 8: 217-226.
- Wouters A, Isik U, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Understanding the motivation for applying for medical school selection - a qualitative study on high school students' study choice process. BMJ Open 2017; 7: e014779.
- Tjin A Tsoi S, De Boer A, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA, Koster A. A longitudinal on the motivation of pharmacists for CE. In Press for American Journal of Pharmacy Education - Ahead of Print article available.
- Visser CLF, Ket JCF, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Perceptions of residents, medical and nursing students about Interprofessional Education: a systematic review of the qualitative and quantitative literature. BMC Medical Education 2017; 17: 77.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G. Creating a longitudinal database in medical education: Perspectives from the pioneers. Education for Health 2016; 29: 266-270.
- Mak-van der Vossen MC, Van Mook WNKA, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. In Reply to Bynum. Academic Medicine 2017; 92(4): 424-425.
- Schutte T, Tichelaar J, Dekker RS, Thijs A, De Vries ThGPM, Kusurkar RA, Richir MC, Van Agtmael M. Impact of participation in a learner-centered student-run clinic on student motivation and competence: a pilot study. BMC Medical Education 2017; 17: 23.
- Wouters A, Croiset G, Schripsema NR, Cohen-Schotanus J, Spaai GWG, Hulsman RL, Kusurkar RA. A multicenter study on medical school selection, motivation, engagement and academic performance. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2017; 22: 447.
- Jacobs JCG, van Luijk SJ, van der Vleuten CPM, Kusurkar RA , Croiset G, Scheele F. How teaching context affects teachers' conceptions of learning and teaching, in student-centred medical education: a qualitative study. BMC Medical Education 2016; 16: 244.
- Van Lankveld T, Schoonenboom J, Kusurkar RA, Volman M, Beishuizen J, Croiset G. Integrating the teaching role in one's identity; a qualitative study among beginning undergraduate teachers. Advances in Health Science Education 2017; 22: 601-622.
- Tjin A Tsoi S, De Boer A, Croiset G, Koster A, Galindo-Garre F, Kusurkar RA. Factors influencing Pharmacists' CE-behavior. Journal of Continuing Education in Health Professions 2016; 36(3): 144-50.
- Van Lankveld TAM, Schoonenboom J, Kusurkar RA, Beishuizen JJ, Croiset G, Volman MLL. The role of teacher communities in strengthening the teacher identity of medical educators. BMC Medical Education 2016; 16: 109.
- Mak-van der Vossen MC, Van Mook W, Kors JM, Van Wieringen WN, Peerdeman SM, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Distinguishing three unprofessional behavior profiles of medical students using latent class analysis. Academic Medicine 2016; 91(9): 1276-1283.
- Tjin A Tsoi S, De Boer A, Croiset G, Koster A, Galindo-Garre F, Kusurkar RA Unraveling motivational profiles of health care professionals for Continuing Education: the example of pharmacists in the Netherlands. Journal of Continuing Education in Health Professions 2016; 36(1): 46-54.
- Wouters A, Croiset G, Galindo-Garre F, Kusurkar RA. Motivation of medical students: selection by motivation or motivation by selection. BMC Medical Education 2016; 16 :37.
- Daelmans H, Mak-van der Vossen M, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Faculty-perceived difficulties and needs in workplace based assessments: A report. International Journal of Medical Education. 2016; 7: 19-24.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G. Self-determination Theory and scaffolding applied to medical education as a continuum. Academic Medicine 2015; 90 (11): 1431.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G. Autonomy support for autonomous motivation in medical education. Medical Education Online 2015; 20: 27951.
- Kusurkar RA. Croiset G. Critical Synthesis Package: Schwartz Value Scale (SVS). MedEdPORTAL; 2015. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/10002
- Gercama A, van Lankveld T, Kleinveld J, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Bridging the gap between CBME in theory and practice: the role of a teacher community. Perspectives on Medical Education. DOI 10.1007/s40037-014-0147-7
- Wouters A, Bakker AH, van Wijk IJ, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. A qualitative analysis of statements on motivation of applicants for medical school. BMC Medical Education 2014; 14:200. Highly Accessed article. DOI:10.1186/1472-6920-14-200
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G. Electives support autonomy and autonomous motivation in undergraduate medical education. Medical Teacher 2014; 36(10): 915-916.
- Mak-van der Vossen M, Peerdeman SM, Van Mook W, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Assessing professional behaviour: overcoming teachers' reluctance to fail
Students. BMC Research Notes 2014, 7:368 doi:10.1186/1756-0500-7-368.
- Kusurkar R. Critical Synthesis Package: General Self-Efficacy Scale (GSE). MedEdPORTAL; 2013.
- Kusurkar R, Croiset G, Galindo-Garré F, Ten Cate TJ. Motivational profiles of medical students: Association with study effort, academic performance and exhaustion. BMC Medical Education 2013; 13:87.
- Mak M, Peerdeman SM, Kleinveld JH, Kusurkar RA. How we designed and implemented teaching, training, and assessment of professional behaviour at VUmc School of Medical Sciences. Medical Teacher 2013; 35: 709-714.
- Kusurkar RA, Ten Cate ThJ. AM Last Page: Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire: Self-Determination Theory and motivation in medical students. Academic Medicine 2013; 88(6): 904.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Ten Cate ThJ. Implications of gender differences in motivation among medical students. Medical Teacher 2013; 35(2) : 173-174.
- Kusurkar RA. Motivation in medical students: A PhD thesis report. Perspectives on Medical Education 2012; 1: 155-157.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Mann KV, Custers EJFM, Ten Cate TJ. Have Motivation Theories Guided the Development and Reform of Medical Education Curricula? A Review of the Literature. Academic Medicine 2012; 87(6): 735-743.
- Kusurkar RA, Ten Cate TJ, Vos CM, Westers P, Croiset G. How motivation affects academic performance: A structural equation modelling analysis. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2013; 18: 57-69.
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Ten Cate TJ. Twelve tips to stimulate intrinsic motivation in students through autonomy-supportive classroom teaching derived from self-determination theory. Medical Teacher 2011; 33: 978-982.
- Ten Cate TJ, Kusurkar RA, Williams GC. How can self-determination theory assist our understanding of teaching and learning processes in medical education. AMEE Guide 59. Medical Teacher 2011; 33: 961-973.
- Kusurkar R, Ten Cate TJ, Van Asperen M, Croiset G. Motivation as an independent and a dependent variable in medical education: A review of the literature. Medical Teacher 2011; 33: e242-e262.
- Kusurkar R, Croiset G, Kruitwagen CLJJ, Ten Cate TJ. Validity evidence for the measurement of the strength of motivation for medical school. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2011; 16: 183-195.
- Kusurkar RA, Kruitwagen CLJJ, Ten Cate ThJ, Croiset G. Effects of age, gender and background on strength of motivation for medical school. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 2010, 15(3): 303-313.
- Kusurkar RA. Sir Charles Sherrington (1857-1952). J Postgrad Med September 2004; 50(3) : 238-239.
Books, or contributions to books
- Ten Cate ThJ, Kusurkar RA, Williams GC. How can self-determination theory assist our understanding of teaching and learning processes in medical education. AMEE Guide 59. © Association for Medical Education in Europe, 2012.
- Chapter on "Learning and motivation" - in collaboration with Prof ThJ Ten Cate, UMC Utrecht, and Dr Anthony Artino, University of Bethesda, USA, in the book entitled "The art of teaching medical students", Eds. Bhuiyan PS, Rege NN, Supe AN. © 2015 Medical Education Technology Cell, Seth G.S Medical College and K.E.M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India - In Press. Link
Published conference abstracts
- 101 published conference abstracts
Supervision - Co-advisor and daily supervisor for 9 PhD students and supervisor of one assistant professor, two postdocs, one research assistant and one data administrator
" Member of the Fellowship Committee of the Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
" Fellow of Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
" Staff Website Self-determination theory http://www.selfdeterminationtheory.org/sdtfaculty
- Invited Key Note lectures (National: 13, International: 3)
" "Selection for Medicine: a Dutch perspective", At the conference on "Optimising Admissions: Assessing Applicants for Medicine and Healthcare", Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing, London, April 2017, https://vimeo.com/220813828
" "Tips for stimulating intrinsic motivation", April 2016, University of Basel, Switzerland
" "Stimulation of intrinsic motivation in medical students: What can we do about it?", December 2012, Seth G.S Medical College and K.E.M Hospital, Mumbai, India
- Grants committees -
" Member of ZoNMw Grant Panel for Research in Education, 2017-2018
" External referee for
- Israel Science Foundation (For Business Scientific Research), 2017
- ZonMw (For Huisarts Geneeskunde education), 2016
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO - For Veni MaGw), 2015
- Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - For postdoc research grant and research project grant - In Social Sciences), Belgium, 2016, 2015
- Scientific Journal Editor -
" Associate Editor, BMC Medical Education & Article Editor, SAGE Pub
" Jury member for NVMO Best Thesis Award 2016
- Reviewer - For 21 international indexed peer-reviewed education journals
" Participated, presented, reviewed and chaired
- For the European Board of Medical Assessors Conference 2017 (Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands)
- For AMEE (Association of Medical Education in Europe) conferences 2009 (Malaga, Spain), 2010 (Glasgow, UK), 2011 (Vienna, Austria), 2012 (Lyon, France), 2013 (Prague, Czech Republic), 2014 (Milan, Italy), 2015 (Glasgow, UK), 2016 (Barcelona, Spain), 2017 (Helsinki, Finland)
- For NVMO (Netherlands Association for Medical Education) conferences 2012 (Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands), 2013 (Maastricht, the Netherlands), 2014 (Egmond aan Zee), 2015 (Rotterdam, the Netherlands), 2016 (Egmond aan Zee), 2017 (Egmond aan Zee)
- VUmc Science Exchange Day 2016 and 2017, Amsterdam
- SDT (Self-Determination Theory) conference, Belgium, May 2010 - Presenter
- Annual PhD Days in Utrecht 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (also supervised)
" Organised - Symposium "Career reform and faculty development", September 2015, Amsterdam,
Symposium "Motivation in medical students", March 2012, VUmc Amsterdam, and OWU conference in UU veterinary medicine institute on March 2011, Utrecht
- Presentations and workshops - 34
- Memberships - Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE), Netherlands Medical Education Association (NVMO), Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME), Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India (APPI)
- Member of PhD defence committees - 3 (Sharon Tjin A Tjoi, UU, Anita Jacobs, VUmc, Marleen Odde Bekkink, Radboud UMC, Nijmegen)
- Educational activities - Member of Examination Board of VUmc from September 2012 till date, Developer of the Student Teaching Qualification training trajectory of 60 European Credits at VUmc School of Medical Sciences
Scholarships, grants and prizes
- Best Thesis Prize 2014 awarded by the Netherlands Association for Medical Education (NVMO) for 2012-2013 among all theses completed in this period in the Netherlands and Belgium, Awarded on 6th November 2015.
- The Second Most cited article in the journal "Advances in Health Sciences Education" (Imp. Fac. 2.7) for 2013-2014: Kusurkar et al. 2013
- Distinction in Biochemistry, Medical University Exam, India, January 1994
- Nomination for the KnowVU award 2016 for the educational innovation on teacher training for medical students resulting in them being awarded the StOK (Student Teaching Qualification), In December 2015.
For PhD students supervised:
- Nomination for the Best Research Paper Award, based on an abstract for the ASME Annual Scientific Meeting 2018 (First author: Marianne Mak-van der Vossen),
- AMEE Conference 2017 Research Paper award to Anouk Wouters
- Nomination, best research paper prize (First author: Marianne Mak-van der Vossen), based on abstract at NVMO Conference 2017
- Nomination, best practice paper prize (First author: Carolyn Teuwen), based on abstract at NVMO Conference 2017
- Best Poster Prize for Education Research at the Pharmacy Education Symposium 2017, Monash, Australia - Tjin A Tsoi S, De Boer A, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA, Koster A. A longitudinal on the motivation of pharmacists for CE.
- ASME New Researcher Award 2016 (First Author: Marianne Mak) for the article - Mak-van der Vossen MC, Van Mook W, Kors JM, Van Wieringen WN, Peerdeman SM, Croiset G, Kusurkar RA. Distinguishing three unprofessional behavior profiles of medical students using latent class analysis. Academic Medicine 2016; 91(9):1276-1283.
- Nomination, best scientific paper prize (First author: Marianne Mak-van der Vossen), based on abstract at NVMO Conference 2016
- Nomination (for Anouk Wouters) Best PhD Thesis award by AMEE 2017
- Nomination, best poster prize (First author: Anouk Wouters) based on abstract at VUmc Science Exchange Day 2016
- Nomination, best scientific paper prize (First author: Thea van Lankveld), based on abstract at NVMO Conference 2015
- Nomination, best paper prize (First author: Marianne Mak-van der Vossen), based on abstract at NVMO Conference 2013